Voluntary and Community Action is a local infrastructure organisation that develops, enables, promotes and supports local voluntary and community action (including volunteering) across Bedfordshire.
Local voluntary and community action provides a powerful force for change, both for those involved and for the wider community, with a vibrant, effective and sustainable voluntary and community sector contributing to the quality of life of all who live, work and pursue leisure activities within Bedfordshire.
Voluntary and Community Action is able to develop the capacity and skills of voluntary organisations, community groups, volunteers and local communities. It works in partnership with others to provide a range of services that seek to increase the quality, quantity, contribution and accessibility of voluntary and community action, so that …..
- voluntary organisations and community groups have the skills, knowledge, structures and resources to fulfil their potential for responding to the needs of, and providing services to, their communities
- people are inspired to volunteer, have the opportunity to do so and have an excellent volunteering experience
- local communities are able to do more for themselves by creating, running and sustaining the community groups, volunteering opportunities, social networks and cultural activities needed to develop strong and vibrant communities
- voluntary organisations and community groups have a strong voice and an active involvement in influencing the decisions that shape the community in which they operate
- those who are socially and economically disadvantaged are able to participate more fully in society.
We are here to help!
We understand that running a voluntary organisation, club or community group can be a time-consuming and demanding role. While voluntary activity can be a rewarding and enjoyable experience, we appreciate that organisations and individuals will sometimes need support, advice or guidance.
Help for Organisations
Voluntary organisations and community groups in South Central Bedfordshire campaign on many different issues, meet the needs of local communities, provide social activities or deliver services. Whatever your organisation does, we are here to support you.
So if you are…
- setting up your group
- writing a policy
- looking for money
- in need of information
- planning ahead
- short of volunteers
- looking for trustees
- interested in learning
- wanting to meet others
We can offer help in a variety of ways:
- Information on a wide range of funding sources.
- Support to organisations wanting to develop their governance, activities and services.
- Training workshops for trustees, staff and volunteers, or tailored training to suit your needs.
- Promoting your volunteering opportunities and providing help and advice on all aspects of volunteering.
- Regular newsletter keeping you up to date with news and information from the sector.
Help for Individuals
Getting involved in local Voluntary and Community action, including volunteering, or becoming more socially and economically involved in your community can help people achieve their life goals. Whatever you want to do, we are here to offer help in a variety of ways:
- finding a volunteering opportunity
- Information, Advice and Guidance for anyone looking for work or to enhance their employability through volunteering
- enhance your employability through our Build Your Confidence! Course
- help you return to work through our Springboard for Women Returners Course
- enabling young people to get involved in youth volunteering.
We work strategically to develop, promote and support voluntary and community action by contributing to partnerships across the voluntary and community, public and private sectors. We do this by:
- co-ordination, liaison and networking within the voluntary and community sector and with other sectors
- advocacy, representation and providing a voice for, and on behalf of, the voluntary and community sector
- promoting and participating in partnership, collaborative and
- contributing and responding to public policy debates and other issues affecting the voluntary and community
All aspects of our work are informed by the vision of an organisational culture underpinned by agreed values. These determine what we do and the way we do it. In summary, Voluntary and Community Action:
- believes that voluntary and community action is fundamental to the development of a democratic and socially inclusive society
- values diversity and is committed to equality of opportunity
- values the work of volunteers and is committed to volunteering
- is committed to sustainable development
- values its independence and is committed to working in partnership with others
- values the relationship between trustees, staff and volunteers
- is committed to the achievement of quality standards and services.
Voluntary and Community Action is in the unique position of being able to provide:
- staff with the necessary knowledge, understanding and skills to provide support that is tailored to the needs of local voluntary organisations and community groups;
- an understanding of local communities and a knowledge of the local environment and the voluntary and community sector in Bedfordshire;
- independent and confidential advice and guidance.
Voluntary and Community Action is also an organisation that is:
- voluntary and community sector owned and led;
- open, accessible, participative and consultative;
- empowering, facilitative and collaborative;
- representative and accountable;
- committed to continuous improvement, needs led and outcome focused;
- pro-active and flexible to respond to new needs and opportunities.
For more information about us see our
- Strategic Plan (PDF)
- Values Statement (PDF)
- Information, Advice and Guidance Strategy (PDF)
- Organisational Policies
- Annual Report and Accounts 2015-2016
- Who we are – staff profiles
Registered Name: Voluntary and Community Action South Bedfordshire
Company limited by guarantee, Registered in England No. 5386570, Registered Office
Registered Charity No. 1108879
Accredited and licensed Volunteer Centre
Member of the National Association for Voluntary and Community Action
Member of the National Council for Voluntary Organisations