The courses enable women to assess their skills, aspirations and life goals and to develop a personal action plan that will take them on a pathway to achieving their aspirations, including options leading to further education, training, paid work and/or volunteering.
The course runs for one day a week over six-weeks, with each session lasting five hours (9.45am to 2.45pm) during term time. The course is free; childcare and travel costs can also be provided.
Who the Course is for
Learners (women only) must be aged 19 years or over, resident in Bedford Borough or Central Bedfordshire and unemployed or looking to return to work after a break.
Fed up at home? Want to find a job, learn a new skill or find new interests? If so, this course is for you. It is aimed at women who want to focus on their own needs and to look at their choices and options for the future.
You will be invited to a short enrolment session to meet the trainers and complete the enrolment forms.
The course provides a mix of group activity, discussion and one-to-one information, advice and guidance, including:
- identifying and assessing needs, skills and interests
- sharing knowledge, experience and motivations
- building communication skills and self confidence
- job search skills - help with preparing CVs and application forms
- preparing for interviews
- accessing local volunteering, job and training opportunities
- overcoming barriers - information on working tax credits, childcare support and support for learning
- action planning to determine aspirations and set life goals.
The course will enable learners to:
- identify key skills and qualities from their past life experience;
- assess their skills, aspirations and life goals, and develop a personal action plan that will take them on a pathway to achieving their aspirations; including options leading to paid work;
- increase their self-confidence and develop basic assertiveness skills to boost confidence;
- develop skills for writing a CV and filling out job application forms;
- recognise the value of volunteering as a route to paid employment; identify local volunteering opportunities and a suitable volunteering placement (if desired);
- consider further learning or training opportunities and job options, including self-employment;
- develop their communication and presentation skills;
- understand State Benefits for working parents and know where to get specific advice if required.
Comments from participants who have recently attended one of our courses include:
"Gave me the courage to start to bring about changes in my life"
"Helped me realise there is much more I'm capable of"
"I gained skills in CV writing and enjoyed meeting new people"
"I would recommend the course to others"
If you would like to know more about the course or to discuss your requirements, please email or call us on 01525 850559.
To book a place, visit our events page to select the course you require, download the booking form, complete and return it to the address shown at the bottom of the form.
You can also attend the Pre-Course Information and Enrolment Session to meet the trainers, find out more about the course and complete the enrolment form.