The courses enable learners to assess their skills, aspirations and life goals and to develop a personal action plan that will take them on a pathway to achieving their aspirations, including options leading to further education, training, paid work and/or volunteering.
The course runs for one day a week over two weeks, with each session lasting four and a half hours (10.00am to 2.30pm) during term time. The course is free and travel costs can also be provided.
Who the Course is for
Learners must be aged 19 years or over, resident in Bedford Borough or Central Bedfordshire* and unemployed or working less than 16 hours per week.
Want to find a job, learn a new skill or find new interests? If so, this course is for you. It is aimed at adults who want to focus on their potential and to look at their choices and options for the future.
*Learners resident outside of the area who wish to access further learning or work in Bedford Borough or Central Bedfordshire may also be eligible. Please contact us to discuss your circumstances.
The course provides a mix of group activity, discussion and one-to-one information, advice and guidance, including:
- identifying and assessing needs, skills and interests
- sharing knowledge, experience and motivations
- job search skills - help with preparing CVs and application forms
- considering options such as self employment or voluntary work
- accessing local volunteering, job and training opportunities
- action planning to determine aspirations and set life goals.
The course will enable learners to:
- identify key skills and qualities from their past life experience;
- assess their skills, aspirations and life goals, and develop a personal action plan that will take them on a pathway to achieving their aspirations; including options leading to paid work;
- develop skills for writing a CV and filling out job application forms;
- recognise the value of volunteering as a route to paid employment; identify local volunteering opportunities and a suitable volunteering placement (if desired);
- consider further learning or training opportunities and job options, including self-employment;
- know where to go for career advice and guidance.
Comments from participants who have recently attended similar courses we have run include:
“Made learning interesting, so glad I joined”
“Good information on CVs and personal profiles”
“The course helped me to clarify what I want to do next”
If you would like to know more about the course or to discuss your requirements, please email or call us on 01525 850559.
To book a place, visit our events page to select the course you require, download the booking form, complete and return it to the address shown at the bottom of the form.