The courses enable learners to recognise and record their skills and qualities, explore reasons for a lack of self-esteem and self-confidence, develop confidence in communicating their views and opinions to others and consider ways to challenge/change unhelpful negative thoughts and behaviours.
The course runs for one morning a week over three weeks, with each session lasting up to 3½ hours (9.30am to 1.00pm) during term time. The course is free and travel costs can also be provided.
Who the Course is for
Learners must be aged 19 years or over, resident in Bedford Borough or Central Bedfordshire* and unemployed or working less than 16 hours per week.
- Are you anxious in certain situations?
- Does this happen whenever you step out of your comfort zone?
- Was there a time in your life when you felt more confident?
- Have you lost your confidence for a reason, such as a period of unemployment, ill health, or being bullied at school or work?
- Does your lack of confidence let you down at interviews?
- .....if so, then this course is for you.
If you are anxious, don't worry, everyone else will be feeling the same. The trainers are experienced and friendly and will help you to overcome your fears.
You are welcome to meet with our trainer if you are nervous about attending or unsure whether the course if for you.
*Learners resident outside of the area who wish to access further learning or work in Bedford Borough or Central Bedfordshire may also be eligible. Please contact us to discuss your circumstances.
The course provides a mix of group activity, discussion and one-to-one information, advice and guidance. It will help you to...
- identify what's stopping you from feeling confident
- find out what you are good at
- challenge out-dated beliefs you hold about yourself and defeat negative self-talk
- learn how to use body language to make a good impression
- feel comfortable meeting new people
- enjoy new challenges
- communicate with confidence
- handle criticisms and put downs
- focus on your goals and steps to achieve them.
The course will enable learners to:
- understand what self-esteem is and what stops you from feeling confident
- recognise and appreciate your qualities and strengths
- acknowledge negative thoughts and beliefs and learn positive ways of thinking
- feel better about stepping out of your comfort zone and taking on new challenges
- develop your communication skills and increase your confidence in social, work and interview situations
- ask for what you want and handle 'put-downs'
- know where to go for support and guidance
- make realistic goals for the future
Comments from participants who have recently attended one of our courses include:
“I feel a lot calmer and willing to give myself a chance … I am glad that I came to the course and stuck to it”
“I loved this course and will miss it … I’m calmer, more talkative, smile more and am more relaxed”
“I learned to listen more without feeling I have to justify myself”
“I have learned techniques to deal with my anxiety and depression and can also help those closest to me with the advice”
“Has helped me step out of my comfort zone and I now feel more confident”
“The tutors encouraged all of the group to participate and made the group feel comfortable”
If you would like to know more about the course or to discuss your requirements, please email or telephone on 01525 850559.
To book a place, visit our events page to select the course you require, download the booking form, complete and return it to the address shown at the bottom of the form.